On January 6,1912 (the Feast of Epiphany), a small group of people seeking to establish a church closer to home held a meeting in the old "Centennial Schoolhouse." Built in 1876, and abandoned as a schoolhouse in 1911, the building was purchased for $550. At the time, they traveled to Scranton from Tunkhannock, Nicholson, Waverly, and the Abington's to attend St. Luke's or Good Shepherd. By summer's end, the one-room schoolhouse was repaired and remodeled to begin its new life as St. John's Memorial Chapel. In the beginning, it was a mission church and services were only held in the summer, celebrated by a curate from St. Luke's.
In 1919, the first rector, Rev. Percy Houghton, was called. In 1922, the name was changed to the Church of the Epiphany in honor of the date of the organizational meeting in 1912. At that time, there were 87 parishioners. This was the first step to move from mission status to a parish.
Fun fact: Mary Oakford, a founding mother of the church, secured the donation of the first church bell from the Baldwin Locomotive Co. of Philadelphia. Local lore has it that the bell was so robust that the neighbors got together and made a donation to the church in return for it not being rung to herald the early service on Sunday mornings.
In 1922, the house located on the lot below the church was purchased and renovated into a parish hall with the rectory on the second floor. The original bell was replaced by a bell better suited in size and tone in 1927 to honor the passing of Junior Warden, William Shurtleff, by his employer. It reads " In memory of William Shurtleff" and is still in use today.
In 1950, the nave and vestibule were enlarged and a new steeple with bell tower erected.
A new narthex and improvements to the parish house were made for the 45th anniversary of the church in 1957.
April 25, 1971 saw the breaking of ground for a new parish hall attached to the church. The cornerstone ceremony for the new addition was held on April 9, 1972.
The Woodlawn Memorial Garden was established in 1977.